The purpose of this post
A lot of the recommendations you’ll see further down are gathered from various blog posts I’ve seen around the subject. So, even though I haven’t taken all the steps myself just yet, I do consider the recommendations outlined to be solid.
/js/ folder inside of
A 10 step program
You don’t need a lot to get started, but you do need the following:
Weeks 1 and 2 (Introduction, Data Types, Expressions, and Operators
- If you do not already know HTML and CSS very well, complete the Web Fundamentals Track on Codecademy.
Weeks 3 and 4 (Objects, Arrays, Functions, DOM, jQuery)
- Right about now you should be spending a lot of time writing code in your browser’s console and testing if-else statements, for loops, Arrays, Functions, Objects, and more.
- While you are on Codecademy, go ahead and build the 5 little Basic Projects on the Projects track. After this, you are done with Codecademy. The more you work on your own, the faster you will learn and the better prepared you will be to start programming on your own.
- Work through the entire jQuery course at http://try.jquery.com/
Weeks 5 and 6 (Regular Expressions, Window Object, Events, jQuery)
- Remember to keep typing out all the example codes in your browser’s console and tweak each piece of code to experiment with it to really understand how it works and what it does.
Weeks 7 and, if necessary 8 (Classes, Inheritance, more HTML5)
- Learn React.js. Check out how Calypso is built and see what you can improve or change. Maybe even turn it into a bespoke version for yourself?
- Next: Decide on a personal project to build, and start building your project promptly (while everything is fresh in your mind).
Back to WordPress