I have been rocking a Windows Home Server since Microsoft released a beta back in 2008. A great solution for handling automated backups for the various PC's and laptops in our house, plus it makes for a great torrentserver. One thing I still hadn't installed, and which was long overdue, was a proper antivirus scanner. Mainly not on there yet, because I couldn't find an affordable solution since pretty much any company creating those, assume you're running a business server and don't mind to pay a shit load of money for their antivirus scanner. I don't mind paying, but all within reason.
Took quite a bit of Googling but I ended up finding a free antivirus solution that with the aid of a small add-on works perfectly with you Windows Home Server. ClamWin Free Antivirus works with pretty much any ol' Microsoft OS of late, and our Windows Server 2003 bases Home Server is no exception.
ClamWin Free Antivirus features the following:
- High detection rates for viruses and spyware;
- Scanning Scheduler;
- Automatic downloads of regularly updated Virus Database.
- Standalone virus scanner and right-click menu integration to Microsoft Windows Explorer;
- Addin to Microsoft Outlook to remove virus-infected attachments automatically.
Not too shabby for a free solution, eh? You can download it here.
The second piece of software you need to install is WHSClamAV. It's a fee open source Add-In for Windows Home Server using ClamWin. It too comes with some nice features:
- C# Coded
- Window Home Server Console Add-In
- Uses Open Source Based Anti Virus Scanning Engine
- ClamWin v0.96.1 (Released 15-May-2010) from ClamAV
- Now Supports International Installations on Windows Home Server
- Supports Smaller Screen Console Layouts (i.e. netbooks)
- Automatic Virus Database Updates
- Windows Scanning and Virus Database Upate Services
- Ability to scan backup drives
All you need to do is download WHSClamAV and install it like you would any other software and that's it. Two solutions that together make for a perfect free Antivirus solution for you Windows Home Server.